Skip to content

Trying something new

July 17, 2011

I’ve already had less than successful results trying to dye Innova’s Pro plastics, and similar results have been reported for their DX line, as well as Discraft’s Pro-D plastic.

This was disappointing for two reasons. One, because my go-to driver is Discraft’s Avenger SS, and I’ve got a stack of them in Pro-D plastic because they’re $8. Two, because I’ve been wanting to do a Devo dye on a Whippet for a while now.

Yesterday’s post got me thinking though. There had to be a way to work with these plastics. I could mask the disc and spay paint it, but that would have added weight to the disc.

What I decided on trying were Sharpies. Everyone uses these markers to write their information on discs because they’re pretty permanent. So why wouldn’t the same theory work for a design?

I tried a KC Pro 12x Roc first because it would only be in black. I masked the disc and cut the design like normal, only instead of fold the edges around the disc, I just cut them off. After weeding the design, I filled it in with a black sharpie. The contact paper doesn’t stick to these plastics as well as is does to the higher end lines, which caused a little more bleeding that I’ve experienced when using dye. However, the method does seem to work.

The next disc I tried was an old KC Pro Whippet. I had very similar bleeding problems and the amount of space I had to fill in made it difficult to get an even shading. The picture looks a lot better than the disc does up close. I didn’t really think it looked like a Devo hat until I looked at the picture I took. When I first took the plastic off I thought it looked more like a shitty drawing of a campfire.

The last disc worked wonderfully. The design was much cleaner. Less sharp angles and smaller details seems to equal less bleed. The only real issue was that the black ink wasn’t completely dry when I started applying the red, so the very edges of the hat look a little dirtier than the rest of the area. In the future, I think taking more time to let each color actually dry would yield better results. Along those lines, this method definitely requires some dry time, whereas the dye method has virtually none.

I’ve seen a few different types of markers on graffiti supply websites, so I’m probably going to try a few different things in order to find the best result. Overall, using markers was way cleaner that using pots of heated dye. It was nice not to have to worry about dumping a half gallon of permanent dye on the kitchen floor.

So these three are sitting on a shelf in my room at the moment. I’ll take them out the course Monday and test the durability of the Sharpie method.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: