Skip to content

Solving the feral hog problem in East Texas

July 29, 2011

If we had been filming a documentary for a small Eastern European country from the former Soviet Union, the end result would have been a “Great success.”

My cousin and his wife came down for the evening and we got to hang out, east some dinner and dye a few discs.

I’d planned on shooting a ‘how to’ video because I thought the Angry Birds discs would be simple. They were, just not as simple as I thought.

Needless to say I abandoned the filming shortly after we wiped the stamps.

My cousin was going to try to dye his first disc, but he opted to split his lesson in half. This time he focused on masking the discs and placing the stencils. He also wiped all the discs for the night and later on dipped a couple in their respective baths. Cutting out the stencils will half to wait until next time though.

The first thing I learn from last night is that whenever you’re dying multiple discs in multiple colors, you need to do multiple bubble checks.

This was the first time I’d tried to do a three-color dye. I was glad to have my cousin on the job to keep me from weeding the wrong parts of the discs between color baths.

I tried a couple of new tricks that seemed to work well with multiple colors. On parts of the mask that weren’t outlined in black, I cut them after the first bath. This kept the area from having a thin black outline that I’ve ended up with before.

The other new trick I picked up was re-masking. If needed to shade a certain a part of the disc after the first bath but also needed to add more colors, I would float the disc in black for five to ten seconds, rinse the disc and then cover the shaded area with contact paper again. Then I was free to keep dying colors from dark to light without tinting my shaded areas.

I really wish that we’d had white discs for all the designs, but what we did worked well. The white disc just worked “well-er.”

After a few hours breathing acetone fumes and steamed Rit dye, my cousin was able to take home a fleet of discs that should strike fear in the hearts of any green pigs who happen to be hanging out at Lindsey Park.

We also tried dying a Black Jax PinDRAGON. These are awesome discs for night golf. They come in three or four different molds, but whatever plastic they’re made of reacts to the dye like Pro, DX or Pro-D plastic. It doesn’t take the dye well. Maybe more heat for a longer time would yield better results, but I’d already increase the heat of the dye twice by the time I took the disc out of the bath.

My cousin left another handful of discs for me to play around with and left the design options pretty open, so I’ll be doing some more for him soon.

The next disc on my wishlist is a DX Teebird, so I guess I’ll be dying for others for a while.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: